Saturday, January 06, 2007

How to Pray as a Family

Prayer doesn't always come easily, especially in front of others. In fact, I'd rather give a speech before 100 than pray before 10, I find it that intimidating. What do you say to your creator that speaks for yourself and those present without sounding like you're trying to impress everyone?

That's one of the reasons we shy away from family prayers, and it's something I'd like to change. I do not come from a tradition that allows for formal, written prayers - but at this point, I figure it's a starting point for us. What does it matter who wrote the prayer if it conveys what's in our hearts?

If you're also struggling with the idea of family prayer, Beliefnet has a Family Prayer FAQ you might want to read. It covers when to start prayer, when to pray and what to do when your kids "act up" during prayer.

I should note that these tips seemed "bi-partisan" to me in that they could apply across religions.

|

No comments: